Bala has a unique background in biotechnology and business which led her to pursue a career in healthcare and intellectual property law. Bala is a registered patent attorney, eligible to represent patent and trademark applicants before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). She has extensive experience counseling and assisting clients with trademark applications and prosecution, specifically trademark clearance searches, filing trademark applications and responding to office actions.
Bala also has expertise in regulatory and legal issues governing the medical spa industry. She works with clients on structuring compliant medical practice ownership models; formation of new entities; preparation of corporate organizational documents and contractual agreements. Her focus also includes providing guidance on state laws governing practice of medicine, good faith examination and compliant delegation and supervision of medical treatments.
Bala’s love for healthcare not only impacted her career choice but also her personal life, as it led her to meet her husband, Raja, who is a plastic surgeon. With Raja being in the early years of his practice, Bala also has personal experience and knowledge of starting a medical practice and navigating potential pitfalls in the practice of medicine.
Outside of work, Bala enjoys running, trying new restaurants, traveling and spending time with her family.
Credentials & Experience
Learn more about your compliance partner.
- Anna University, India, Bachelor of Technology in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology (2008)
- Case Western Reserve University, Masters in Entrepreneurial Biotechnology (2011)
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, J.D., Cum Laude (2016)
- Texas State Bar
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- University of Maryland Intellectual Property Clinic Student Attorney
- Dean Scholarship Recipient
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Co-Speaker with Sam Pondrom, Hot Topics in the Business of Medicine and Dentistry, Health Law Section of the Dallas Bar Association
- Co-Speaker with Brad Adatto and Renee Coover, COVID-19: The Customer That Nobody Wants, ByrdAdatto University
- Speaker, What Every Healthcare Lawyer Needs to Know about COVID-19 Antibody Testing and Licensing Requirements, ByrdAdatto University
- Co-Speaker with Robert Fisher, Legally Reward Patients Without Violating Anti-kickback Laws, American Med Spa Association webinar
- Co-Speaker with Brad Adatto, Medical Advertising 101 – What You Can and Can’t Say When Advertising Your Med Spa, American Med Spa Association webinar
- Speaker, Trademarks and Service Marks: How Does it Help With Branding?, ByrdAdatto University
- Co-Speaker with Michael Byrd, Protect Your Brand: The Basics of Trademarks, American Med Spa Association webinar