Alex Thiersch to Speak at The Advanced Aesthetics & Cosmetic Dermatology Symposium in Los Angeles
Alex Thiersch will give two regulatory talks at the The Advanced Aesthetics & Cosmetic Dermatology Symposium in Los Angeles, California this weekend.
His first session, titled “Legal Issues in Your Medical Aesthetics Practice” will begin at 3:00 pm on Friday, January 27 and will cover the basic legal framework necessary to legally operate a medical aesthetics practice. Topics include:
- Overview: A synopsis of state-based rules and regulations affecting the aesthetic, cosmetic, and laser industries.
- Commissions: The fee-splitting conundrum – is it legal? Is Groupon fee-splitting?
- Ownership: Who can own a medical facility? What is the best way to structure a corporation?
- Medical facility supervision and delegation: must a physician be present and examine every new patient?
- Aestheticians and laser technicians: What can they do and not do?
- Patient referrals: The laws surrounding referrals and gift cards.
His second session, titled “6 Legal Pitfalls That Can Sink Your Practice, and How to Protect Against Them” will begin at 8:00 am on Sunday, January 29 and will cover six specific and common ways medical aesthetic practices are running afoul of regulators. These include:
- Social media, iPhones, and patient privacy
- Paying for referrals
- Reputation management
- Supervision and delegation
- HIPAA, OSHA, FDA, DEA
- Commissions, Groupon and fee-splitting